Solve a Problem
If you do encounter a problem with XLQ, please look through this page to see if it has already been addressed.
If you do not find a solution, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining the problem, including information on the version of xlq, the version of excel and the version of windows.
Support is provided by email only, and I will try to respond in the shortest delay.
This page covers the most common support questions. If you do have a problem you should verify that you are running the latest version of xlq as only the latest version can be guaranteed to work with any changes made by the data sources, such as changes to their interface, network, IP address etc.
If you think you may have found a bug, or would like to see a feature in a new version, please let me know.
If you do not find a solution on this page and feel that some additional information here would have been helpful, let me know and I can possibly add it.
Opening Excel workbooks via a link not working correctly
(New October 2017)
The last couple of updates to Excel 2016 have introduced a problem for certain users and is still present in excel build 8431.2094 released on 4 October. I have contacted Microsoft explaining the problem, so hope it will be corrected. If not I will include a permanent workaround for the next update.
The problem occurs if you use a link to open your workbook. When opened that way excel now initialises the workbook before loading com addins. The addins are loaded once the workbook has recalculated. For xlq this results in #name being shown for all formulae and xlq can start briefly as opening triggers activation of the xlq bridge, but the connection is closed again due to there being no active addin.
Once the workbook is opened, the addin is then initialised and it is possible to press alt-ctrl-f9, or edit a cell containing xlq formulae etc. which will then trigger activation of the rest. It is also possible to avoid the problem by opening excel first, then opening your xls from within excel.
It is possible to replicate the problem by doing the following:
Open a command prompt and change the directory to xlq, i.e.
cd\"program files"\qmatix\xlq and press enter
If you type in xlqdemo.xlsx and press enter you will see the same problem
But if you type in
c:\"program files"\"microsoft office"\root\Office16\excel.exe xlqdemo.xlsx and press enter (assuming that is your path for excel
it will work.
I have found that if you create a dummy vba addin that is loaded by default from the addin directory by excel it will also force the initialization of com addins before the xls is loaded and everything works as before. To use that as a workaround, follow these steps:
Open excel with a new workbook.
Click developer, visual basic.
(if you do not have a develop menu, click file / options / customize ribbons and check developer on the right and click OK)
In visual basic click Insert Module (not class module)
And paste the following 3 lines into it:
Public Sub Auto_Open()
Then in excel choose file / save as, choose a name and change the type to Excel Addin (*.xlam). (Leave excel to store it in the roaming Microsoft addins directory as per default)
Then choose file / options / addins
Click manage “excel addins” and click Go
Ensure the addin you have created is checked.
(you can remove the ‘ before msgbox “hello” to show a dialog on starting excel to test if needed)
You can now close excel, and the addin will be opened every time excel is opened, and all other com addins should now initialize correctly when opened from a link.
Yahoo! Historic Data
(updated for xlq 5,8 and later)
Yahoo now returns their historic open, high, low and close data adjusted for splits
Due to this change, to keep things standard, the default close returned by Yahoo will now be split adjusted only.
In xlq preferences / data source specific there is now a new setting to choose to return the dividend adjusted close as xlqhClose (and to be used in calculations).
There is also an additional setting to now adjust the open, high and low by the dividend adjustment, allowing for the first time to use a dividend adjusted open, high, low and close.
You must change the settings in xlq preferences to work with yahoo’s dividend adjusted data and any symbols should be deleted so that the data is re-requested.
Regardless which adjustment is chosen, the original close values are available via xlqhAdjustedClose and xlqhUnadjustedClose.
Supported Hardware and Software
- Will run on any full version of Windows starting from Windows Vista through to Windows 10.
- Will run on any computer, desktop, laptop, tablet or virtual machine that is running a version of windows above.
(including Microsoft Surface Pro and Surface 3)
- Can only be used on an Apple via Parallels (etc.)
- Excel is not required to use XLQ, but xlq will support any version of Excel starting from Excel 2000
- Will not run on windows RT or windows phone, nor will it work with Windows 95, 98, ME, NT or 2000
- Will not run on an iPad, Linux or Apple OS X.
(if you need to, use Parallels, VM etc.)
If you are seeing #Name in a cell containing an xlq formula it usually indicates that Excel has disabled add-ins, which can occur if
excel crashes, although it usually asks before doing so.
You can verify this by opening a new workbook and typing in =xlqPrice("msft") and pressing enter.
In excel 2010 and later click the File menu and choose options. (In excel 2007 click the Office button and choose options)
From the excel options dialog, choose add-ins. At the bottom of that screen it shows “manage” and in the drop down afterwards choose “disabled items” then click Go. If xlq is there, re-enable it, then close and restart excel and it should work again.
If you are using Excel 2003, you can do the same by clicking help / about and clicking the “disabled items” button.
- Other reasons could be that xlq is not installed, the wrong platform (32 or 64 bit) is installed, or the COM add in 'xlq Loader' (xlq2init.dll, or earlier than xlq 5.3 xlqinit.dll), is not set to load when excel starts.
XLQ Data Engine
Cannot see the Q
When xlq is running, there is a (usually) green Q shown on the task bar next to the windows date / time. Right clicking this Q displays the 'Q menu' providing access to preference settings, status views and underlying data management and viewing. It is also where the
registration code is entered.
If xlq is running and you cannot see the Q, windows could be hiding it. In that case click the small triangular up arrow. You can then drag the Q to the task bar.
Since xlq 5.1 you can now also press Alt-Ctrl-Shift-Q to display the Q menu.
Historic Data Corruption
- If there is a crash / power failure etc. when xlq is writing to disk, a file can become corrupted. If this occurs, when xlq is started a small dialog will show an error message, and closing it will again display a new one.
- If this occurs, right click the Q and choose preferences, Under General settings, set "Delete all data on exit -once" to Yes, click apply, then close and restart xlq. (Version 5.3 or later required)
If XLQ is an earlier version than 5.3 you would need to delete the data files manually, i.e. close xlq (rebooting if needed) and delete the files starting with h and ending with .xlq and .xqi (e.g. h_yahoo1(2,3 and 4).xlq and h_yahoo1.xqi etc.)
They are found by default in the users directory e.g. c:\users\[user name]\appdata\local\xlq\.
If you cannot see the files in windows explorer. With WIndows 10, from the ribbon choose view / Options, then in the dialog click View. With earlier versions of windows, press alt to see the menu and choose tools / folder options. Click the view tab.
From there, change the option “Hidden files and folders” to “Show hidden files, folders and drives” and press apply.
These files will be recreated when you start xlq, and the database will be repopulated as the data is needed.
An alternative is to uninstall (which deletes the files) and re-install, but doing so you will also lose any preference changes and need to re-enter your reg. code.
Clean up Symbols
- Whenever a symbol is used by xlq, in excel, xlqCompanion etc. the symbol will be added to the stock manager. If you are no longer interested in all the symbols you should remove any unwanted ones.
Right click the Q (or press Alt-Ctrl-Shift-Q) and select Stock manager (alternatively double click the Q).
Choose the source, then select the symbols you no longer want by ticking delete. If you wish to select a number of rows, highlight them with the mouse, then right click and choose delete.
To select all symbols, the most efficient is to right click the top left cell and choose delete. When all symbols are chosen processing is faster and additional cleanup is performed.
The actual delete is done when you click the refresh symbol (double arrows).
Any symbol that is deleted but is still being used will automatically be added again.
Note the stock manager does not update automatically. To see the latest information, refresh (double arrows) should be pressed first.
- If you wish to remove all data, the quickest is to right click the Q and choose preferences, Under General settings, set "Delete all data on exit -once" to Yes, click apply, then close and restart xlq. (Version 5.3 or later required)
Cannot choose Exit from the Q menu
- If xlq is started by or is being used by another program Exit from th menu is disabled.
- If the program using xlq exits abnormally or crashes, exit will remain disabled. From xlq 5.3 you may now press ctrl, which will allow you to choose the menu option, now shown as "Force Exit!" to perform a clean exit.
- For versions earlier than 5.3 you would need to press ctrl-shift-escape to display the windows Task Manager and under processes end the task xlqEng1.exe
- If you have entered your CMC token into xlq, you may work with their API's data directly in xlq. (xlq preferences / data source specific / CoinMarketCap)
- All subscription levels including Basic (free) would be compatible.
- For more information on CMC: (https://coinmarketcap.com/api/pricing/)
- If you have an InteractiveBrokers account you can use any of their market data that you are subscribed for via XLQ.
- TraderWorkStation (TWS) or their gateway needs to be running on the computer, and needs to be configured to allow for connections.
In TWS click 'Configure' then choose API / Settings.
"Enable ActiveX and Socket Clients" should be checked.
And to avoid the connection message add 127.0.0.1 as a trusted IP Address.
- If you have any connection or symbol problems consult the xlq Interactivebroker status views (right click the Q in the task bar and choose view data / status). Look at both the day and historic status views for any errors.
- If you are not sure of the symbol to use, enter it into TWS then right click the row and choose contract info / description. The screen shown will show the symbol, type and currency to use.
The symbol for this E-mini future will be NQM5[globex,fut,usd], e.g. = xlqprice("NQM5[globex,fut,usd]","IB")
- If you have an IQFeed subscription you can use any of their market data that you are subscribed for via XLQ.
- IQConnect needs to be installed on your computer and xlq will connect with it automatically as needed. You may download the latest version from here https://www.iqfeed.net/XLQ/index.cfm?displayaction=support§ion=download
- If you are new to IQFeed, it is possible to request a free trial for a couple of weeks (https://www.iqfeed.net/XLQ/index.cfm?displayaction=start)
- If you have a Norgate Data subscription you can use any of their market data that you are subscribed for via XLQ2.
- Your Norgate Data account would need to be active, with NDU installed on the computer. xlq will then connect automatically as needed.
- If you are new to Norgate, it is possible to request a 3 week free trial (with limited data) (https://norgatedata.com/freetrial.php)
- If you have at least an Intermediate subscription with Stockwatch, you can work with their market day data downloads via XLQ2.
- Your Stockwatch account would need to be active, and your sign in information entered into xlq preferences. You would also need to choose the exchanges you want data for and the number of days to retrieve.
- If you are new to Stockwatch, you may subscribe or see more info here: (https://www.stockwatch.com/Help/Prices.aspx?pro=N¤cy=C)
- If you have a TDAmeritrade account it is possible to work with their free real-time (including for options) and historic data.
- From xlq preferences you can use a link to sign into your TDAmeritrade account and authorise xlq for data access. This needs to be done at least every 3 months.
- The account needs to be a standard TDAmeritrade account, i.e. ThinkOrSwim enabled accounts will not work as the user id will connect to a different platform for data and trade routing, and does not work with the TDA data service. TDA has confirmed that it is possible to convert a standard account to a ToS account, but it is not possible to convert a ToS account to a standard account. Instead a new account would need to be created.
- Tiingo data is free or subscription depending on the amount or type of data you need.
- To enable Tiingo in xlq you need to enter your token in xlq preferences / data source specific / tiingo, and everything is automatic afterwards.
- If you do not have a token, you would need to register (free) with tiingo. For more information see https://blog.tiingo.com/how-to-find-your-tiingo-api-token
- XLQ2 source is provided free to XLQ2 users, and can be used without additional setup.
- Data provided by IEX Cloud: (https://iexcloud.io)
11 December 2019
XLQ 6.6 released
- XLQ2 data source now supports Canadian And Mexican historic data,
Historic mutual fund data is now also available,
Financial and dividend data now also available for OTC and mutual funds.
- Supports New TDAmeritrade login procedure required for continued access to TDA data after 31 December.
- Supports IQFeeds 6.1 protocol.
- Updated to maintain compatibility with recent changes at Yahoo..
- More. >>
Pleased with the service and support
or feel extra has been earned?
Your acknowledgement is appreciated.
Wow, you did a lot of work on this version. New interface and other things as well. I must give you credit for being the most responsive software engineer that I've ever encountered. Every question that I've sent you over the many years (since 2003!!!) has been answered quickly and professionally. I just wanted to let you know that it is appreciated.
I have to say Leo that the last two versions have made some tremendous improvements to what has been for years an outstanding application. Thank you for your continued efforts.
Just to let you know that, the new version works much better & faster than the older one. I like it a lot, fantastic job you did!!!
Many thanks indeed for your clear and very rapid reply. I am not used to this type of quality service - I thought it went out of fashion years ago !!
In only 40 some days XLQ has helped me with a number of research projects I couldn't possibly have done without it and I'm now using it to help manage and track current trades and to alert me to potential new trades.
I just wanted to take a moment and thank you for creating XLQ. I use it regularly for scanning/monitoring securities in Excel 2007. I have programmed in trailing stops for securities I own and numerous techniques using indicators for securities on my watch list. The combination of Excel 2007 and XLQ has opened up nearly an unlimited capability that is only constrained by my imagination.
Thank you for the amazing package -- I use it daily and it's ridiculously useful! Others (.....) have added some of the features you have, but none of them even comes close to matching what you've built.
Your product is fantastic, amazing, and really strong. It has real enabling capability. Thank you for putting this into the market!
You have an exceptional customer service, you have always answered my questions, I thank you for that, made it really easy to use this software, will be your long term customer. Thanks.
I was halfway resigned to have to program something like this myself. Only it would have taken me forever, and I couldn't have done it half as well. Thanks!
I also want to thank you for making the XLQ program. It is something that is very useful and incredible helpful. Like it was made for my needs.
I have already modified your demo sheet to fit my needs. Your program allows me to turn my excel spreadsheet into a total information center that updates automatically. It's elegant.
First, I want to say that your program is probably the finest piece of work I have ever seen. The depth is simply amazing. Congratulations and thanks.
Thanx, Leo. You're a great sport. By the way, partially because of the application of xlq in my screen, I have passed 30% up in the market this year!!!!
This is a wonderful product -- simple to use and just plain useful!
I want to say you have created THE ULTIMATE data interface software for traders like me who prefer to use Excel for everything. Thanks a bunch.
I just wanted to say, that I very much like your xlq package. I have tried many similar products and this is by far the best I have come across. Simple, fuss-free setup, integrates well with Excel, and has its own stand alone interface to track your portfolio throughout the day. Since I am from Europe, and trade US, European and Japanese securities, the ability to use a variety of feeds simultaneously and transparently is particularly valuable to me.
I really appreciate your quick responses. And your program is terrific. The Plus version adds a lot with it‘s AAII interface. I’ll definitely register it since in the last week it has become an indispensable part of my stock analysis.
I found XLQ yesterday afternoon – and I am blown away by how useful it is. You really need to market this thing because it is AWESOME!!!
Your explanation was very good. I understand now and find it very useful. If you always reply so quickly to questions, I will have to believe that you supply the best and fastest support of any software company.
I have “dabbled” for several years creating many of the things you present in this great program. I first began using the “*.iqy” external query (update times horrendous), then Excel VBA and lately attempting to learn “C” or “C++” in order to have smoother, faster updates as well as a great appearing “front end”. Your program certainly is, by far, the leader and has the greater edge over any I have seen, or tried to accomplish. Thank you for such a great program.
You are a very special person to reply so quickly and I want to thank you again. I enjoy your program. It gives me everything I need, and I know there is so much more functionality that I'm not even exploiting.
I love your program. XLQ combined with the power of Excel brings limitless possibilities to manipulate data for better trading. I recommend it to everyone I know interested in trading.
Thanks for such a great program. I have no programming experience and was trying to find a way to do just what you have done. Only you did much more. It’s fantastic and reasonably priced too!
Thank you so much for your help and your phenomenal programming. XLQ is awesome.
I use your XLQ product all the time. Some of the best money I've ever spent on software.
First, a thank you for the excellent and useful adjunct to EXCEL. I seem to discover a new use every day – and I’m sure I haven’t even scratched the surface to utilize XLQ’s full potential. The new version is really great.
First let me say that I feel XLQ is terrific. I really appreciate the versatility you have made possible with this package. I have set up a few worksheets and find it easy to learn and use with the aid of the included demo sheets. This application has the potential in my opinion to be unmatched in power, efficiency and productivity.
Your software is on its way to becoming the only window that I need to the market’s numbers. With the ability to arrange thing EXACTLY the way I want them, and the use of conditional formatting to trigger alarms and display changes to suit my needs, I am gradually replacing all of the other market tools I’ve been using. I can’t be a more enthusiastic supporter of what you are doing. Thanks.
I'm wowed by your software!! I used to enter data in my spreadsheet for two hours for each update, and therefore only did it once or twice a week. Now I do it with the close each day - in about 30 seconds!!! And I've added some data points to help with my analysis that I just could not manage to maintain before. Thanks again for a great program, a great deal, and great support!!!!!
Your software is great. I'm hooked on the info I can generate for stock purchasing and selling using your program. In two weeks I've become an XLQ junkie.
Please let me tell you how much I have come to depend on XLQ in a short period. This is a great product!! You have made my job significantly more streamlined, and my tasks simpler and more elegant. Many, many thanks!
I have been evaluating XLQ for the past few weeks and am thoroughly impressed with the product. It is versatile, easy to use, accurate and very intuitive. It is a real bargain compared to competitive products plus it runs right from within Excel. Based on this I just entered my purchase order.
I ADORE your program. It has really helped me to learn about how the markets work, and building my own system indicator by indicator is the best way to learn.
Leo: count me as a satisfied customer. I gave it a good workout for a month, decided to buy it when it saved me 5 hours of administration the first week, and helped me do some studies I had been postponing for months due to slow data retrieval. Your product is smooth, fast and elegant with a very clean presentation. Well done!
The more I work with XLQ, the more I like it. It is fast! And so rich... I like it so much I have decided to adopt it as my #1 tool for the long term.
Thanks very much for writing XLQ - I like it very much as it gives me the opportunity to manipulate data as I want without a very steep learning curve.
I just downloaded a trial of XLQ and have been "playing" with it for hours. I am so impressed. I wish I would have known about your program years ago.
I just purchased your software and think it is the next best thing since the spreadsheet.
Thanks for the best (and least complicated) investing software out there!!
Your software is simply brilliant, for the last week that I have been trying it, I have been impressed no end.
Thanks, Xlq is a great piece of software, its actually saving me a heap of time and time is the precious commodity in these hectic days.
The XLQ interface with Excel is excellent. I have been waiting for this capability for years.
Please accept my thanks for your wonderful product - it is a pleasure to use.
Your software is just what I have needed. It provides me with the capability to customize data and construct charts which give me the views I like - not just what someone thinks I would like.
Firstly, let me say that the philosophy and idea behind XLQ is exactly what I am looking for.
The more I use XLQ the more I appreciate what can be done with it.
Just like to say, excellent work. A potentially good bit of software for me.
I love your product so far. ... Thank you for making such product available.
Thanks for the Tip. You know, your program is really super.
Great software! Simple, elegant, well-thought-out and fast.
I am always finding new ways to use your program in my investment / speculative Market endeavors.
Thanks for such a wonderful product. It certainly does handle my most precious need which is to monitor the market realtime..
It is a pleasure doing business with such a responsive person who obviously understands the value of good customer service. I have just registered and intend to make good use of this program.
Your fast and thorough answer is more than what I expected. Your service is awesome and your product is very stable. Keep up with your good work. Sincerely appreciated :)
Just a note to let you know that I really like you software. It's a wonderful interface that has been of great utility to me.